Sunday, July 24, 2011

a start

When I got the stuff I ordered from Niko, I said that I was hoping that it would be the start of being more creative. Of course, I had really already started getting creative earlier in the week with the making of Dora's recipe book. And, last weekend, I purposefully went to the farmers' market to do a photo shoot. So, what I'm really hoping is that I make time to be more creative.

Writing the first two posts on this blog (first published in my other blogs) was a step towards being more creative. I've really been wanting to get back to writing -- both the more casual/fun blogging and the more serious academic writing -- so it's good to be able to put something down again. This morning, I decided that if I'm going to get more creative and want to document it, then I'd need to make a new blog. I know I don't really need yet another blog since I'm pretty bad at keeping them up-to-date, but it's a psychological thing, a commitment (even if it ends up being short-lived). And anyway, the creation of a blog--with the personalization of design elements--is itself a creative act. So, here we are.

Also, this morning (actually yesterday morning, since it's now past midnight), I ordered some basic bookmaking supplies. I had been looking at them the previous night, but I didn't commit to purchasing them until this morning. I had decided that I would go with pre-cut materials for accordion books so that I wouldn't have any excuse to get started right away (well, one less excuse anyway). As with any shopping, I got very excited and carried away and wanted to get all the basic equipment for both glued and sewn books. But, as I saw how much it was costing (and on the advice of my friend), I decided to only order the materials that I would actually need.

I ordered:
  • 2 sets of accordion book kits (2 different sizes) -- only includes chipboard covers and inserts
  • 2 kinds of adhesives -- Yes glue and PVA
  • glue brush
  • awl -- I don't really need this, but I got it anyway
  • bone folder
  • lots of decorative papers
I still spent quite a bit of money, but I'm really excited that I've taken this step. Too bad that it might take a couple of weeks for the stuff to get here, though. Who knows if the enthusiasm will be gone by then? I hope not, though.

My goal with getting these stuff is not necessarily to get all fancy, but just to get myself started. This is why I chose to go with the kits first. Once I really get into it and especially if I find that I really have the time to do it, then I can try to get more complicated. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment