Monday, August 8, 2011

paper

A couple of years ago, I was in Thailand. I knew that one of the things that Chiang Mai is famous for is its handmade saa or mulberry paper. So, I visited an out-of-the-way vendor. I wanted to get some paper to use for paper arts and to use for raffle prizes. I got a lot of sheets. None of them ever got used for the intended raffle, and it wasn't until this weekend--when my niece and I were making books--that I finally got to look through the bunch again.

This is the bunch. The sheets are all pretty thick. In this first picture, the paper on top is white with gold threads.

Leaves and petals are common design elements for these papers. Here, you can see it in light green and cream.

As I mentioned, I had intended for some of these papers to be used for a raffle. So, I bought a few that have designs that could basically be framed for some instant art. They all involve elephants. Here are some of the details of the various designs.

Some of the papers have text on them. I believe these are Burmese and Thai, respectively.

Purty papers, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment